27.11.09

How audiobook can change my mood

I thought audiobook never worked, at least for me.
It demands relentless attention. Only if my mind wanders off for a second, the flow or the plot is lost.
The same can be said for reading, but you can easily pick up from where you left off.
It's not so much a nuisance to move your eye balls than your finger to reverse your iPhone.
And after all, I guess a native English speaker would find it difficult to grasp every single spoken word, let alone a Chinese like me.

I tried anyway, for the first time in my life, an audiobook of Alain de Botton's How Proust Can Change Your Life, narrated by Samuel West.
No doubt it's as good as a book can be. It has all the usual elegance and wits of de Botton.
Lapses of attention did occur as expected, and when it happened, the narrating retreated to become almost like a background music.
That doesn't matter. And that's probably why I found it rather delightful.
To West's credit, by his lively narration, the continuous stream of tuneful British accent and the mere impression of absorbing knowledge and being so intellectual,
my mood was changed, before my life.

No comments: