19.12.08

Leaking World


The world has been leaking
for ages.
Cracks were plastered.
Plaster cracked.
Cover-ups upon cover-ups,
until the inevitable burst.
From the credit crunch,
to the names of fall:
Freddie Mac, Fanny Ma
AIG, Northern Rock,
Lehman Brothers
and the latest,
down to a person,
Bernard Madoff –
mad and off.
Oh, not to forget
our Iceland
wobbling on melting wealth.
We should have known,
Icesave is of course, not safe.
Greed is a leaking vessel
who can't get no satisfaction.
As we are busy cleaning up
all these mess,
there's one worse coming
if we keep doing nothing.
Credit crunch of another sort –
the ecological bad loans from our Earth.
Oh my global village fellows,
can we survive the day after tomorrow?

Epilogue:
The picture is the view above my head in my office. The pipes on the ceiling have been leaking for months. Though just a drop of water fell onto my desk (or luckily on my head) once every hour or two, it's still a nuisance. We asked the building management to fix it but they just never did. So this was the best solution I could come up. A towel tied around the leaking spot perfectly soaked up the tiny amount of water. At first, one was enough, then more were asked in for help later on.

Day in, day out, I looked up, I contemplated... not sure of what and back to work. Finally, I thought, "What the hell, just post it and call it an accident piece of conceptual art." But somehow my writing took a surprise turn to a poem of some sorts. I lost my bearing on the way. Well, how could it not be? I didn't bring any map in the first place.

No comments: